Thursday, April 28, 2011

A fun first year

Wow, where has the time gone? Seems just like yesterday I was in a room with a bunch of strangers with Diane, Bob, Greg, Jill and Graham sitting at the front of 427 to welcome us to ACC. For me it was kind of a scary time. It was my first time away from home in a strange town. I've always been the kind of person to keep to myself and maintain a smaller network of close friends, but I've met some really awesome people over the past 8 months.

It seems almost funny how clueless we all year in Grahams first few video classes. Setting up a tripod and white balancing a V1U might as well have been a physics exam given how some of us were at the start (me included) There were lots of great things about first year, like Bob's jokes that only a few would catch if you were paying attention, or the laugh we all know as Brett, or Curtis screaming half way down the hall. Speaking of Brett, the mini disc had a funny story he told in stereo 1 about an old lady he knew back in Neepawa. If you heard it, you definitely know what I am talking about. Funny shit.

The election was a very long but fun thing to participate in. Obviously it was much longer for the 2nd years but given how new we still were to everything, it was definitely something that took a lot of energy out of everybody, but the after party at BP's was good times. I think that was one of the first times we were able to chill and socialize with the whole group and get to know each other a little bit.

For myself personally, the first newsline and radio shifts were a very scary thing. I was (and still am to an extent) fearful of making mistakes, which I suppose is one of the worst things you can have, but things of course got smoother the more times you did them. It will be fun to enhance those skills in 2nd year.

I'm really looking forward to being home for the next 4 months. I know myself, and in talking with others, were feeling rather burnt out around the end of March/start of April, so it will be nice to kick back and relax for quite some time. I'm going to be going back to my old job serving at Applebees during my time off, plus a 2nd job reffing in the football league I play in. It will be great to be paid to be outside for an hour and a half on a hot summer day. I plan on spending a lot of time in my back yard chilling with the dogs. I really wish I could have a hammock in my back yard, but there aren't any trees in it, so no can do I guess. Oh well. I also want to take the dogs for lots of car rides, they love it. I'd love to hit up the beach as much as possible. Our football league has a tournament out at Grand Beach over August long weekend. That will be a blast for sure. What are your plans for the summer?

As I wrap up, all the best to the outgoing year two's in your future endeavors. Hopefully you all get what you are looking for in this business. As for my year ones, have a great summer, see you in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment