Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wake up call

For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to try to get myself in better shape - really, who doesn't wish they were in better shape? I've joined gyms before, tried healthy eating, and all those good things, but after awhile, the "I'm busy" or "next time" excuses just became to much of an occurrence that I had just abandoned things all together.

One of the main reasons for me wanting to get into better shape is because of my hopes of spending a lot of time at the beach over summer. I love going to the beach, and socializing with friends as do most people, but I think I can count the times on one hand that I've actually taken my shirt off at the beach. People would always say not to worry, I'd have nothing to worry about, there are much bigger people than me, the latter being true, I realize that, but it still didn't matter. I would just feel so shy and nervous that I almost never did it.

So over the past couple of days I've made a point of trying to not only eat, but drink much healthier. I've almost cut out pop entirely for over the past month, minus a time or two at a restaurant, but my eating habits still left much to be desired. I've gone from chips and chocolate muffins to water or juice and a fruit salad. I've also started drinking chocolate milk a lot more - I've always loved it, most know milk is obviously high in calcium, but it is especially great for protein as well.

So where is the wake up call....Well I suppose there was two really. Part of me just got really tired of...well....being really tired. So often I'd have no energy, be doing the occasional head drops in classes because I'm so tired, or even worse, having trouble staying awake on the road back home. As I said it has only been a couple of days, but the difference already in energy alone has been very noticeable. I'm still going to take my naps - how could I not - but they will not be nearly as frequent as in the past, when I heavily depended on them to get through my day because I was so run down.

The other was tonight at the gym. I had done a light workout in my room here Sunday night, worked my arms with a rubber band I have, and some sit ups and push ups (albeit barely on the push ups :( ) with the knowledge that I am significantly out of shape, but it wasn't until tonight where I thought just what the hell have I been doing to myself from a diet point of view. I wouldn't hesitate a lot of times either before I'd leave Winnipeg, or when I got back into Brandon to stop by McDonalds or something like that for a quick meal as I unpacked, or going there with friends back home in Winnipeg. I don't think I lasted 8 minutes on the treadmill because my chest was hurting so much - and the shoes I brought with me are worn on the back, so I knew if I kept going I would be getting a brutal blister on my left heel, needless to say I will be going shoe shopping tomorrow. I don't really need to be spending 150-200 bucks on shoes, but I figure it will help keep me motivated, putting that much money into it. Why spend it obviously if it is going to sit in its box in the closet?

I'm not sure why, I really have no reason to believe it to be true since I've tried this before and failed, but I really think this time will be different in terms of finally getting myself into a condition that I am happy with. It's only been a couple of days, I realize that, but I think the awareness of just how out of shape I am, coupled with the benefits I already feel only after a short while of changing my eating habits plus the financial investment in new shoes should be enough to keep me going this time...or so I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment